Shifts


I am a good mom, not always a great mom, but most of the time I am a good mom. I am a good teacher, not always a great teacher, but most of the time a good teacher. I have two shifts and I take both of them seriously, committing myself to children with passion, thought and compassion, but I’m not always perfect. I sometimes let my children watch too much television. I sometimes feel unprepared in delivery of instruction. But I think I am the norm, not the exception as a teacher and mother. Hence, I think my voice is representative of thousands of women in my field from whom we are not hearing. Perhaps, we are too busy working double shifts to join in the public debate. 

Education is a field that gets much public attention, is fodder for political conversations about the future of our nation, and holds a seat in an arena of society about which we should all care. Yet, I think that the perspective of average working moms/teachers who influence thousands of classrooms across the country should be heard, not because I want my voice validated, but because I think I have some insight into the topic.

We hear from high profile educators like Michelle Rhea or Geoffrey Canada, president of Harlem's Children Zone. We read snippets in the media from pundits who cover education. The professors of Education with letters after their name have valid and intriguing ideas and draw conclusions that empower teachers with research-based theories. You hear news stories on National Public Radio featuring a young 20-something teacher who is changing lives, devoting him/herself to students with passion, energy and enthusiasm who is probably spending hours upon hours of his/her personal time crafting lessons or grading work. They are phenomenal and inspiring teachers with whom I would consider lucky to work or have as my child’s teacher, but there are only a handful of them. It is my experience that most teachers are like me: we devote our energy to our students during the work day and then focus on our own families and commitments in our personal time. I think I have some insight into a part of this equation: the typical American classroom teacher.

My second shift relates to this debate as well. While motherhood has profoundly transformed my heart, soul, my amount of free time, our budget, my sleep schedule, and my world view, motherhood has shifted me as educator. I look at students from a mother’s heart as well as from a teacher’s eye. Furthermore, my oldest daughter starts kindergarten this year.  I would like to explore with readers my thoughts as a mother and a public school teacher on this journey I’m on as a teacher and as a mother.

Comments

Popular Posts