A New Year

One of the very best things about being a teacher (ranking very close to those 8 weeks of summer)  is the chance to get a fresh start every year, for both teacher and students.  Last year, I had a bad year.  After some reflection, I saw some things I could change about this year and am putting them into practice as well as enjoying new administration at my school.

This is my 11th year teaching and some how I became a "seasoned" teacher, which is the way I'm describing myself in the midst of feeling old. I teach with younger people who are in the throws of Ph.D's and Master's programs, picking up all the new research and strategies, who don't have children at home to tug at their time, and devoting their time and energy to the classroom. They bring energy to the classroom and passion to their profession. What I'm finding about us seasoned teachers is that we bring the value of experience and the heart that comes along with staying in the classroom past that 7 year mark when most teachers burn out.  It is going to be a good year. I know it. I look forward to sharing and thinking with this blog about the paradigm in general and parables in particular of public education.

This year, I'm having a wonderful year. I'm working harder, volulnteering my time more and spending more of my own money but it is because I want to, not because I feel like someone is telling me I need to in order to be a good teacher.  Don't get me wrong...I'm still mediocre.  If you want to see a great teacher, go youtube and view this lady's music videos she makes for her class.  I'm just wise enough to use them for my student's benefit. http://www.youtube.com/user/historyteachers

I started this blog last year to showcase how motherhood has changed me as a teacher and wondering if being a teacher would change my perspective as mother to Anna Cate, now a 1st grader.


I wanted to showcase a typical teacher. So far what I've found this year in renewing my love of teaching, of children and of learning is the overwhelming value of this experience of  learning in a community.  The connections, both social and educational, are worthy. I know we aren't supposed to mix prayer and school, but let me tell you I'm saying a prayer of thanksgiving every morning during the moment of silence that my love of the field has been renewed. I look forward to sharing with you.

Learning isn’t a means to an end; it is an end in itself.” ~ Robert Heinlein

Comments

Popular Posts