The Hope Chest





Dear 4th graders at CIS.... I have read The Hope Chest with y'all, and have told almost everyone I can that they should read this book, too. Can you believe I read it even though I wasn't assigned to read it?  I am an adult with two college degrees, one in History. I loved this book. Like many great books, The Hope Chest is not just a book for a certain age group... it is a great book for adults and I hope one you will remember reading because the stories are so great and you could think about them the rest of your life.

Like many great books, The Hope Chest is not just a book for a certain age group...
it is a great book for adults and I hope one you will remember reading because the stories are so great,
and you could think about them the rest of your life.

Historical Fiction is my favorite genre because the stories make learning History so easy!
I know you have been writing about themes and characters, and I wanted to write to you.  Also, I love talking about History and books; when we read, we expand both our minds and what we have to talk about with our friends.

I agree with your teachers that one of the themes of the book is about making a difference,
and when Kitty and I were talking about it, I realized that what allowed people (fictional and real historical figures) to make a difference was the willingness to question stereotypes. Of course, the main point of this time in History is questioning the idea that women shouldn't vote, or that they shouldn't be educated.  Also, as a reader, I confess I also had to deal with stereotypes. I was shocked that not all suffragists were concerned with racial equality, or that Mother Jones, a leader of child rights, wasn't a supporter of women's voting rights.

The book is filled with a literary device called irony. . . meaning we expect one thing but it is the opposite. Here are just a few examples I noticed. While Mr. Martin wasn't someone Violet's parents would have wanted Chloe to marry, it was Mr. Martin who made Violet telegram her parents know she was ok. Also, Violet was a fancy little white rich girl from Pennsylvania, but because she trusted a Hobo, who was probably dirty, or a little black girl, she got to find Chloe.  Also, Chloe ran away because she didn’t want to get married but then she ended up falling in love and we assume she got married. 

I love how Violet talking to others and being true to herself she allowed others to make a difference in her. Because Violet spoke to a tired woman who was waiting upon the body of her son, her mind changed and her heart was broken about the casualties of war. In Nashville, because Violet spoke up and said an uncomfortable truth to the woman who was an Anti, the woman changed her mind to support women's suffrage.   Violet made a difference in Myrtle's life, but Myrtle made a difference in Violet's life.

 That is the great thing about this book; we are reminded what a big difference we can make when we don't believe stereotypes and we look at others as just other human beings.  In fact, that’s what great about Historical fiction -- it helps us see people who lived in those times as real people, just like you and me. Harry Burn just wanted to make his mother happy.

Finally, I want to tell y’all that like you, I grew up here in Centerville, but I have traveled all over the world. And sometimes I was the only person someone had met from a small town or from the South. I am proud to be from a small town, and I am proud of Tennessee -- including for some of the reasons mentioned in this book. Maybe one day you will be an example of how to make a difference by not believing a stereotype, or you will be an example of why not to believe a stereotype. Either way, you have the chance to make a difference.





Comments

Popular Posts