Are We Learning?

For years, I  have known schools were different across the country.  The divide seems so vast right now. In my small little world, I saw such a difference in where I taught in suburban Virginia and the two systems I have worked for here in Tennessee.

As a country, it seems after the election of 2016, Americans have started to notice the divide between rural and suburban areas. Books about "rural resentment" and "Hilbilly elegy" rose up.  Last year I read the book "Strangers in Their Own Land" about Lousiana from the perspective of a sociologist from California just trying to understand and climb the empathy wall. I find myself trying to do that a lot... climb the empathy wall. I get so frustrated and I know I am lacking empathy, and in my little sphere of education, I find myself ruminating on what this COVID is doing to public education.

 Since the middle of March, the schools across our country are finding themselves redirecting and they are redirecting in all sorts of directions.  I happen to be a little more aware of the diversity of directions since I have close friends I talk to and follow on social media involved in distant learning. I am feeling guilty that while I am offering resources to my students online, I know that not all of them can take advantage because of access to wifi. There are some amazing advantages to living in the country -- beautiful scenery, access to lots of country roads to run on, creeks to fish on. . . but let's just say it is not exactly ready for the 21st-century distant learning upon weeks' notice. So it seems we are in a little bit of a holding pattern in terms of what school looks like. Will we finish out the year? Will kids be learning from home?

 I realize I need to teach my own children. So starting the week of March 16, I have been homeschooling Anna Cate, Molly and my niece Kitty. Thanks to my friend Katie sharing a schedule from khan academy and access to google classroom, it has actually been really nice.  I need a schedule.... so I think they do too.  They do Math Reading, Art, and Physical fitness... .and a lot of snacks.







I saw this poem above on Social Media as BJ had them do art.

These pictures were from the first week and then they had a regular spring break so no school and thanks to the generosity of Kitty and her parents, Anna Cate and Molly were invited to go to the mountains with them for a week. They played board games and learned to fly fish as well as enjoyed some delightful family time together. 



Then this week, I felt like it all started to get real. On Monday, I was feeling very anxious and stressed and frustrated. I feel guilty that I'm able to teach my own family but that other kids are not learning. I'm frustrated that at the state level, we didn't call the school in time to send books home with our students. I know of other places who moved fast -- got wifi to homes, sent home chrome books. By the way, they already have instructional technology in place.  The timeline for me was that I was in New York on Monday, 9 and even scoffed at my friend's Dani's coworkers who didn't take the train into work, but by Friday, March 13, I wanted state and local leaders to call the school and tell kids, "take your books home just in case" so they had something to do in case of quarantine.  So I think we all came to acceptance of what we should do at different times.

This week, Anna Cate, Molly, and Kitty have gotten back to home school.

 We did a zoom meeting with a friend of mine who is an archaeologist... we met at Cornell College, and I notice the latest Cornell report on the desk (as well as the laundry).
They talked about artifacts, and she shared an article we are going to read. Becki shared the use of a metal detector with them and they looked for objects in our side yard. Becki is a scientist so she is going to lead them in some awesome experiences. Yesterday she took us to clean up a family cemetery and taught them about genealogy.

We also looked for and identified wildflowers in a naturalist book of Kitty's. The point is that I do believe my kids are ok; they are learning.  Maybe a little Social Studies rich, but that is what I know.

I am loving being home with my children and I love teaching them because it is what I know how to do.  But my public school teacher conscious is feeling conflicted. I believe in public education, and I am afraid we are failing kids who aren't set up for online distant learning.  I wonder if places who have online learning all set up with the help of infrastructure and private companies are doing a better job serving students. But I had an aha moment in a phone call to a parent to just check on families.  A Dad picked up the phone and he said, "yes, we are doing good... I am teaching my son how to drive a tractor. It is his second time." And just like that, the peace of perspective washed over me. YES!!!!! I'm teaching Social studies and using online educational tools because that is what I know. Becki can teach genealogy and Science because that is what she knows... Douglas taught the girls to fly fish. BJ is setting up his garden, helping with the animals.  BUT this Dad is teaching his son to drive a tractor. Maybe some kids are learning how to cook, how to take care of the household while parents are working.  The point is learning. Learning. Period. Learning to learn; learning to adapt; learning to try new things. Not what they are learning.  I have known this... I forgot it. The focus on standardized testing and the stress made me forget.

BUT! What about those kids living in trauma and poverty whose parents can't help them? Maybe parents who have substance abuse issues? Well, I think I know deep down, I'm not teaching them History anyway.  When their home lives are traumatic, they aren't retaining math and reading skills even in the best educational settings. My wise friend Miggie who teaches in what I imagine a very sophisticated school district (my "the grass is greener on the other side" mind trap is kicking in a tad) said, "parents have always been the primary educators." Yes.  I have long known that public education works when homes work. As a teacher, I can do wonders with kids who come from homes who get enough sleep and food. And for those who are living in trauma, I understand the impact trauma makes on their brain, but that doesn't mean I can do much about it. I am still a History teacher, not a social worker.

Basically, I have long known deep down the system is broken if our intent is to save kids from poverty and trauma; it is a beautiful idea but not possible under the current paradigm. It is why teaching advanced classes have been so fulfilling for me in my career-- I feel like I can make a difference.

So parents, use what the schools are giving you as resources, but teach your kids what you think they should know.  And even if you aren't intentionally doing this, believe me, they are learning. I keep thinking about all the things I hear people say kids should learn in school.... cursive, prayer, meditation, gardening, getting along, typing, home economics. etc.  Well, now is the time; you get to teach it. Here is a great message about not stressing yourself out about school.  I love her line, "we are learning a new curriculum."


But I digress... What I'm trying to process, what I am trying to say is that yes, teachers are important but parents have always been more important. Facts are important, but relationships are more vital. After this over, kids who come from homes where they will learn new, useful things from and strengthen relationships with their parents will flourish during this pandemic. But that is true regardless. Inequity has always been a factor in the brokenness of the public education system; the COVID pandemic is just shining its light on its ugly face. Kids are learning from home; are we?

We as a country should be asking... What are we learning?


“Compassion hurts. When you feel connected to everything, you also feel responsible for everything. And you cannot turn away. Your destiny is bound with the destinies of others. You must either learn to carry the Universe or be crushed by it. You must grow strong enough to love the world, yet empty enough to sit down at the same table with its worst horrors.”
― Andrew Boyd, Daily Afflictions: The Agony of Being Connected to Everything in the Universe


Comments

Popular Posts